IN WASHINGTON D.C.
A few weeks from now, November 13th, 2010 to be exact, eight (8) young social entrepreneurs from around the world will meet in Washington, DC to share their improbable, extraordinary, astonishing efforts to make a positive difference not for themselves, but for others.
The event, TEDx:YSE: “Unleashing Young Social Entrepreneurs,” is a collaboration between Ashoka’s Youth Venture and the famous idea germinator TED, and it promises to redefine the way we view social entrepreneurship.
Separately, there is a new book that is out by the Lien Centre for Social Innovation in Singapore called “The World that Changes the World“, helping us understand how to create a more empowered, liberal, and creative civil society to plant the seeds of social innovation.
A very helpful page on the website shows the content of each chapter as well as links/contact info. Here is an example of the first chapter.
- C. K. Prahalad, The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid (Upper Saddle River, NJ: Wharton School Publishing, 2005).
- Frances Kunreuther and Patrick Corvington, Next Shift: Beyond the nonprofit leadership crisis (Baltimore, MD: Annie E. Casey Foundation, 2007).
- Jim Collins Good to Great: Why some companies make the leap and others don’t (New York: HarperCollins, 2001)
- Joe Saxton, Michele Madden, Chris Greenwood, and Brian Garvey,The 21st Century Volunteer (London: nfpSynergy, September 2007).
- Katherine Fulton and Andrew Blau, Looking out for the Future: An orientation for twenty-first century philanthropists (Cambridge, MA: Monitor Company Group, 2005).
- Lester M. Salamon, S. Wojciech Sokolowski and Associates, Global Civil Society: Dimensions of the nonprofit sector, Volume Two
- Luc Tayart de Borms, Foundations: Creating impact in a globalised world (London: John Wiley & Sons, 2005).
- Matthew Bishop and Michael Green, Philanthrocapitalism (New York: Bloomsbury Press, 2008).
- Stuart L. Hart, Capitalism at the Crossroads: The unlimited business opportunities in solving the world’s most difficult problems(Upper Saddle River, NJ: Wharton School Publishing, 2005).
- Valeria Budinich et. al., Hybrid Value Chains: Social innovations and development of the small farmer irrigation market in Mexico(Arlington, VA: Ashoka, 2009).
Will 2011-2020 be the decade of the Social Entrepreneur?